Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
August 17, 2017, 01:05:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Word suggestion 9/3/17 Standard  (Read 653 times)
anona
Lexicomane

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »

I was very surprised that "aduki" wasn't accepted. When I checked, I found the wiki sites had it as an alternative spelling to adzuki (which I didn't know). I think we must spell it as aduki here, because a google search gives loads of references from the BBC, our supermarkets and others. But perhaps in the US it is spelt only as adzuki.

Anyway, any chance it could be made an acceptable word? (And then it won't come up again for a year, I know!) I don't know whether the adzuki spelling is accepted, but if not I'd suggest it is allowed too - though of course that's very unlikely to come up as a possible word.
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:05:10 PM »

For what it's worth, the COD gives aduki as an alternative / variant to adzuki.

I somehow don't think there'll be too many  seed-words in the next few months with a 'z', a 'k' and a 'd', so aduki would be the more likely to appear again.

Alan W
Administrator
Eulexic

Melbourne, Australia

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »

Adzuki is in our word list, but it doesn't seem to have ever come up in a puzzle, and probably never will. For those not familiar with the word - as I wasn't before now - it is an edible bean, and the plant it comes from. The word comes from the Japanese.

A few dictionaries list aduki as a variant, so I will admit it as a rare word.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites
anona
Lexicomane

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »

Thank you, Alan.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: