Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
September 21, 2017, 02:14:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: He might need some help . . .  (Read 1011 times)
TRex
Glossologian

~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 07:06:46 AM »

Would "verminous and pestilential sub-amoeboid decerebrates" be more to your liking? Smiley

I started to make a comment about eschewing obfuscation, but upon reconsideration thought it quite appropriate given politicriminals penchant for obfuscating.
Calilasseia
Lexicomane

Pass the dissection kit ...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »

Well I think the 'verminous' and 'pestilential' parts would be readily understood as being the antithesis of a compliment ... Smiley

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...
TRex
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 05:45:40 AM »

You might think so, but I've come to believe what cannot underestimate the intelligence of the average person. As in the reactions National Public Radio received for tweeting the Declaration of Independence.
birdy
Eulexic

Brooklyn, NY

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »

The tragedy was that their actions brought about what was in reality the first world war -there was fighting on three continents which cost probably hundreds of thousands of lives.

Help with history, please:  What was the "third continent"?  Asia?  I'm vague on that part of history, though considering Britain's colonial interest in India, with the Dutch in Indonesia, and the French in the Pacific (Vietnam/Indochina was later?), I guess it could be.  Or was it South America/the Caribbean and the non-Latin colonies?
yelnats
Linguissimo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »

Turkey is technically in Asia with the Bosphorus being the divide, and Gallipoli is then certainly in Asia, not to mention Palestine as it was then. And though there was no fighting there that I know of, Papua was a German colony before WW1 but then taken over by Australia at the start of  the war.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:32:07 AM by yelnats » Logged
birdy
Eulexic

Brooklyn, NY

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »

Okay, I guess that I was thinking of times closer to the early part of the 19th C.
TRex
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »

Only if one considers Europe a 'continent' instead of the peninsula it really is.

Most of the so-called Second World War was fought on Afro-Eurasia; some in Australia & Oceania.
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 11:15:40 AM »

The tragedy was that their actions brought about what was in reality the first world war -there was fighting on three continents which cost probably hundreds of thousands of lives.

Help with history, please:  What was the "third continent"? 

I was thinking of the conflict and hostilities in India between the Kingdom of Mysore, at that time an ally of France, and Britain (the East India Company). This took place around 1780 and, because of the involvement of France in the War of Independence, is directly linked to the much larger conflict that was taking place on the North American continent.

Only if one considers Europe a 'continent' instead of the peninsula it really is.

I think the term 'continent' probably has as much to do with politics as it does with geological land masses. Why is Arabia part of Asia rather than Africa? Why don't we regard the whole of North, Central and South America as one enormous island?
I learned at primary school that there were five continents and seven seas.
I think kids are now taught that there are seven continents (Africa, Asia, Antarctica, N. America, S. America, Oceania and Europe) and a number of  seas and oceans.
I'm not quite sure, under this system, whether Mexico is part of the North American or South American continent.
That question will probably only be resolved once the Great Wall of Trumpery has been completed.

Demon Grin Demon

MK
yelnats
Linguissimo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »

The Mexicans consider themselves part of North America, hence they speak of the United States of North America, not the United States of America because the American states are not united. Mexico is formally the United States of Mexico, and Brazil is United States of Brazil.
a non-amos
Cryptoverbalist

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 01:23:10 PM »

Please correct me if I am wrong, but . . .

Back in the day we were taught that there are 7 continents, Europe, Asia, Africa, N. America, S. America, Australia, and Antarctica.  We were also taught that only one continent was also a country (Australia) and that they are very proud of doing things their own way.  Of course I might be mistaken about this.

Regarding the "third continent" we might need to turn a blind eye to ignorance in centuries gone by.  Their knowledge and experience was incomplete.

There were many inflammatory statements published in 1776.  We go to Poplar Forest to hear them read.  I tried to add a hyperlink but it did not work.  You can google Poplar Forest and Thomas Jefferson.  This is a good way to spend Independence Day.

I really do have to take exception to statements comparing the current US government to retards, pestilence, vermin, and the like.  I only take exception to the fact that you have understated your case.  The situation is far worse.

I had seriously considered moving, and had made some tentative plans to do so.  I work from home.  Home in US? Canada? Jamaica?  It would not matter to my employer.  I came to the conclusion that fleeing would have been an act of cowardice.  I would like to believe that this level of cowardice is not within me.  I need to stay and fight!

I met RM when I was a member of a marching band.  These days it is more difficult to walk.  This did not keep me from the march.

I was recently presented with an opportunity to join an anti-Trump and anti-ignorance campaign.  If we have vermin and pestilence we might want to do something about it.

In a way this is a shame.  They have really good coffee in Jamaica.

By the way, Mexico is in North America.  Sí, es verdad.

- A

Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)
TRex
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 08:29:01 AM »

There is a good Wikipedia article on the numbering of continents. One model numbers seven; two models number six; one model numbers four. Personally, I think the four continent model is the most logical. The article also includes which model is taught in which countries.

Australia and Antarctica are always regarded as continents, though Antarctica is omitted by the Olympic Games and the United Nations as uninhabited.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:04:34 AM by TRex » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: