Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
September 21, 2017, 02:21:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarina  (Read 365 times)
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »

Not complaining - I saw it and played it - but I wonder just how many players have ever heard of the ocarina.
Should it be common? Only 50 from 600+ played it in the recent anaerobic game.

I vaguely remember having a toy one when I was a kid. It was silver and made of some cheap, plasticky material. I never managed to get anything musical out of it, just an amusing farting noise if you loosely blocked the opening in a certain way.
I think my parents were quite pleased when one day it accidentally (?) got stood on.

They are still around. Apparently, according to Wikipedia, they are very old.  I've no doubt they feature occasionally in folk music and possibly even in rock, but I wonder if anyone has ever written a Concerto for ocarina?
anona
Lexicomane

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »

Computer says Yes! Though a few bars of the fifth movement were enough for me. The ocarina seemed to be out of tune with the orchestra, or perhaps the other way round.
TRex
Glossologian

~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 08:54:50 AM »

I used to have a dictionary with ocarina as a headword with an illustration. I saw that word hundreds of times, leafing through. Unforgetable, to me. I played it.
Alan W
Administrator
Eulexic

Melbourne, Australia

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »

I think the only time ocarina came up for discussion before was last year when I posted a list of common words that had been played by very few people. Ocarina was on that list. It had been played by just 21 players in a 10-letter puzzle. It was played by 50 people the other day, so it looks like its profile is improving.

The suggestion last year was that the words listed could be candidates for changing to rare. In the end I think I did change most of the words listed, but I didn't change ocarina, probably because one of the forumites commenting listed it as a word she felt was common. That forumite was ... anona. Maybe she has changed her opinion now she's heard one.

In any case I'll log it as a suggestion and look into it in due course.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites
anona
Lexicomane

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:23 AM »

I certainly recommend that it be rarely heard, based on the piece I found!
TRex
Glossologian

~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »

I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh1TWI-GVP4 and found it mostly enjoyable. The higher-pitched ocarinas are rather shrill; the lower-pitched are more to my taste. But, overall, I liked hearing what ocarinas can do but would not want a steady diet of them!

Even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ugzE-xaLo
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:33:26 AM by TRex » Logged
drs
Logologist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »

Extraordinary! Who knew that the ocarina could be played with such virtuosity? I used to have a little one years ago, and could manage "Baa, baa, black sheep", but not much more.

Of course a consort like this has the same problem as a recorder consort - balance. The treble instruments are very penetrating, while the lower instruments struggle to be heard. Also, given that they are made of clay, I'm impressed that they can be tuned with such accuracy. Anyone know how it's done?

David
yelnats
Linguissimo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:44:10 PM »

TRex,

Thank you very much for the youtube post. I had never heard of an Ocarina before, but now I know what they are and what they sound like.

I think it may still be difficult to get them on a plane as hand luggage though.
birdy
Eulexic

Brooklyn, NY

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »

So of course I had to google the word to see what ocarinas look like.  What a variety of shapes!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: