Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
September 21, 2017, 02:22:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Word suggestion: wiki  (Read 215 times)
Morbius
Paronomaniac

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »

I was surprised that wiki wasn't accepted in yesterday's standard puzzle.  It's a pretty well-known term these days, I would have thought.
TRex
Glossologian

~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »

The OED has an entry for wiki.
yelnats
Linguissimo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:04:19 PM »

I tried 'wiki' and failed, and found it in dictionary.com.
Leedscot
Logologist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »

You took the word out of my mouth, guys.
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »

I also tried it and wasn't altogether surprised to get the sorry, not known response.
It was probably not in the original word-lists on which Chi's lexicon was based and this may even be the first time it's appeared in a game.
I can't remember kiwi, an anagram of wiki, ever appearing before either.
Alan W
Administrator
Eulexic

Melbourne, Australia

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »

You're almost right, MK. There was only one previous occasion when the letters for wiki were available in a daily puzzle. That was back in 2008, with the same key word, twinkling.

The word wiki is now in several dictionaries, and should definitely be added to our list. In the Corpus of Contemporary American English, the word suddenly put in an appearance in 2006, with dozens of occurrences in that year and each subsequent year. Chi started in 2005. No doubt the rapid growth of the best known wiki, Wikipedia, beginning in 2001, was a major factor in the growing awareness of the wiki concept.

In fact the word wiki, with the meaning of a website that can be collaboratively edited by its users, originated in 1995. It is one of the few words whose origin is known exactly. It was coined by Ward Cunningham, when he launched a site he called WikiWikiWeb, with its short form name wiki. The names came from the Hawaiian terms wiki, quick, and wiki wiki, very quick.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: