Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
October 23, 2017, 08:44:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THE BIG WORD  (Read 4328 times)
Les303
Cryptoverbalist

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »

Hello everyone ,

I haven't been playing a lot of CHI lately due to personal reasons however i have managed to squeeze in the 10 letter game on most days.
Unfortunately for the last 4 or 5 recent games (while scoring ok by my standards ) i have not been able to find the BIG WORD.
For me that just adds to attraction of the game so that i will strive a bit harder to get it next time.
At the same time i've often been just one word (or maybe 3 or 4) short of a rosette & when i see the solution i'am often amazed that these words are classified as ''COMMON '.
I just put that down to experience & hope that i can recall those words in future games.

The reason that i bring this up is that after being away from the FORUM site for a while then reviewing recent posts...they are all about should ' so & so a word be rare or common ".  No dis -respect to anyone but i find those debates to be quite boring.
Compare it to Pat's ' natures pic ' post which had thousands of views  & really had little to do with " words ".

I'm just saying that we are all drawn together due to our fondness of this game ,so lets keep it light & have a laugh , i mean it does not have to be so serious ..does it?
Just my opinion ..hoping to get some light hearted feedback ..Les

Les from Brisbane ; Australia
birdy
Eulexic

Brooklyn, NY

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:57:12 AM »

Oh, no, Les.  The distinction between common and rare is a Serious Matter.  It calls into debate Important Things like

1. Which profession's/avocation's jargon ought to be known by every literate English-speaking person in the world.
2. Patriotism:  by gum, if that word is well-known to people in [my country], then who are people in [that other country] to say they've never heard of it?  Don't they know that [my country] is the place where the best English originated/is spoken/written/known?
3. If I know the word, YOU must be abysmally ignorant, and should study the word lists to bring yourself up to MY level.  I tell you this for your own good, not because I wish to feel superior to you.
4. Chihuahua players are slackers if they don't know/remember that that very word was debated 17 months ago.  Why didn't you read all of those posts before you listed your complaint?

Demon

Though truthfully, I like those posts, because I really enjoy learning new words, and even more learning how the language is diverging in different areas of the country/world.  I actually spend more time on the forum than playing the game, because I know that once I start playing, I'm hooked, and probably won't get done what needs to be done.

As far as more interesting posts...there were a lot more topics in other threads a few years ago.  But I think some of the major contributors (e.g. the Hags) found that life and its demands interfered with posting so frequently.
anona
Lexicomane

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 03:33:20 AM »

Les: if you've only recently started doing Chi in a big way again, you may not know there's been a preponderance of posts about common versus rare words because Alan has been doing a lot of work on the backlog of requests.

Sorry if you were aware of this - it depends when you started looking again.
Les303
Cryptoverbalist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:26:13 AM »

Fair enough.

By the way , i wasn't complaining , just making an observation that i thought might start some light hearted debate to liven up the forum a bit.

I like to keep things simple so my view is to just accept that there seems to be a lot of COMMON words out there that are RARELY used.

For example ; the big word in yesterday's 10 letter game was "tiresomely".
No debate ; definitely a common word however when was the last time you used or saw this word actually used in a sentence.
I'm sure people out there will find plenty of quotes where tiresomely has been used but my point is that for me at least , this is certainly not a word that i would commonly use.
So , if i'm making any sense here , i'm just trying to explain that for me ,deciding if a word is rare or common has very little impact on the way i play the game...Les

mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »

It all depends what you mean by 'common', Les.
I think 'common' as it's used in Chi means 'familiar to an educated native speaker of English' rather than 'used every day'.
If you did come across the word 'tiresomely' in your reading, I'm sure you would immediately understand what it meant without reaching for your dictionary. It would be 'familiar', even though you may never have actually used or seen the word before. Therefore it would be 'common' in Chi.

Many of the words that people post on the forum for discussion are possibly not familiar to large sections of the English speaking community - they may be dialect words, technical terms or scientific or medical terms which not everyone has encountered before.

MK

Les303
Cryptoverbalist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »

MK,

You've hit the nail right on the head as that is exactly how i was thinking about common words.
Thanks to your simple explanation , i will now view future rare/common word debates from an entirely new perspective.

Les

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: