Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
November 20, 2017, 12:09:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Common animals - 4 April 17 standard  (Read 1736 times)
birdy
Eulexic

Brooklyn, NY

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »

Antechinus - definitely a genus I hadn't heard of.  Thanks for the link, Calilasseia - I watched that and a couple of others.  So the males die off after that intense couple of weeks of mating.  I would think the females would be glad to see them gone, judging by the videos.
Alan W
Administrator
Eulexic

Melbourne, Australia

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 08:35:27 PM »

One of the words queried in this topic was enchilada, which some forumites doubted was a common word.

One post mentioned that it's not even an English word. Well actually, it is. It's the English word for "a rolled tortilla with a filling typically of meat and served with a chili sauce". Of course, it comes from Latin American Spanish, but if that means it's not English, then neither are the other two words originally queried. Echidna is Greek and eland is Dutch.

I feel that the word enchilada is a lot better known outside the Americas than it was 20 years or so ago. This is partly because of the growing popularity of Mexican food and the proliferation of TV shows and other media covering food from all over the world. It's also because of the growing usage in Britain and elsewhere of the colloquial expressions the whole enchilada, the entirety of something, and big enchilada or top enchilada, the dominant person in an organisation.

Having said all that, my goal is that the 9- or 10-letter key word for a puzzle should be indisputably common everywhere Chi is played. This probably doesn't apply to enchilada so, with some regrets, I'll remove it as a seed word.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: