Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
November 20, 2017, 12:09:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 lettres puzzle May13, red or white?  (Read 490 times)
oops
Neophyte

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:07 PM »

Why is pinot allowed, and not cabernet?
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »

Good question. I tried it too.
Merlot is also allowed as common
yelnats
Linguissimo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »

Unfortunately, my preferred 'tempranillo' will never make the list unless Alan starts an 11 letter word.
Calilasseia
Lexicomane

Pass the dissection kit ...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »

Pinot is a generic term for grapes of a specific subgroup, and thus is likely to appear in isolation as well as in an oenological context. Cabernet, on the other hand is never found in isolation (except in dictionaries), but is almost exclusively used in combination, as in cabernet sauvignon, cabernet merlot or cabernet franc. The actual grape used in such wines is the béquignol grape.

Remember: if the world's bees disappear, we become extinct with them ...
Alan W
Administrator
Eulexic

Melbourne, Australia

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:17:35 PM »

I presume that oops means to ask why cabernet is not allowed as a common word. It is already allowed as a rare word.

I agree with the implied suggestion, and cabernet will be treated as common in future.

According to my researches the frequency of use (of the words, I mean, not necessarily the beverages) run from pinot - most frequent - through cabernet, and then merlot. Pinot and merlot are already common.

Dictionaries differ about whether the names of wine varieties ought to be capitalised. Online one can find some erudite discussions on this topic. Suffice to say that while most writers seem to opt for the initial upper-case letters, many do not. This issue affects all of the three wine names mentioned.

While cabernet generally appears as part of a type such as cabernet sauvignon, it can also be used by itself as a shortened version of a two-word name (usually cabernet sauvignon). Hence the plural cabernets is sometimes used.

In case anyone is interested, the words most frequently appearing immediately after cabernet in the Corpus of Global Web-Based English are sauvignon (706 times), franc (203), sauvignons (28) and merlot (21). The words most commonly following pinot are noir (1584), gris (237), grigio (235), noirs (119) and blanc (48).

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: