Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
November 20, 2017, 12:08:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: relight / relit  (Read 374 times)
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:07:44 PM »

re the slithering 10-letter game

relight is 'rare', but the past tense form relit is 'common'. A slight inconsistency perhaps?

Also, I'm well aware of Chi's policy with regard to words starting with the prefix 're-', but I wonder if I'm alone in thinking that there might be a case for both resight and resite to be common?

MK
Morbius
Paronomaniac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »

I agree that they should both be common, but given my recent experience with orate/orated, Alan will probably make them both rare!  laugh
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:47:36 PM by Morbius » Logged
Alan W
Administrator
Eulexic

Melbourne, Australia

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 04:06:51 PM »

I agree there's an inconsistency between relight and relit. Relight is used fairly often, and its main meaning is obvious, so I think it ought to be treated as common in future.

However, resight and resite: really? MK, you say you're well aware of Chi's policy with regard to words starting with the prefix 're-'. I'm glad you are, because I'm certainly not.

In any case, I'm pretty sure both resight and resite are very seldom used. Resight sometimes appears in connection with aiming a weapon. There is also something called the "sight / resight method", to do with counting animals in the wild. Resite sometimes appears with capitals in the middle as the name of a conference or architectural journal. Also sometimes as a spelling mistake: "I am sure that there are many a christian (saved person) who cannot resite the ten commandments by heart but still know right from wrong."

I'm not persuaded these words should be changed, but if you disagree you can always resuggest them.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:50:25 PM »

No, no resuggestions, Alan!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: