Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
October 23, 2017, 08:48:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian plugs  (Read 360 times)
pat
Eulexic

Rugby, England.

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »

I know I need to get a plug adapter for use in Oz but I'm a bit confused. On Trip Adviser it says that only 'some' wall sockets are three-pin. I know I can use a two-pin adapter in a three-pin socket but I don't want to buy a three-pin adapter if some wall sockets are indeed only two-pin. Help!
yelnats
Linguissimo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 08:49:26 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen a 2 pin wall socket except maybe hotel rooms for a shaver.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Omega-21117-Travel-Adaptor-3-Pin-UK-to-Worldwide-Europe-USA-Canada-Australia-NZ-/132180547135?epid=840018170&hash=item1ec693163f:g:QcoAAOSw42dZCvAw

This one looks OK. Most supermarkets have them for Aussies who get foreign pin stuff off ebay.

mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »

For what it's worth, Pat, adapters that will take UK three-pin plugs are easy to find in Thailand.
I don't know which airport(s) you'll be transiting on your way to Oz, but I'm sure you would find what you need in any of the duty-free shops in this part of the world.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if the entire world adopted the UK system? It is the best and the safest I've seen anywhere I've travelled.
We can't claim these days to lead the world in very much, but electrical wiring and safety is one small area where 'British is Best'.
yelnats
Linguissimo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »

For electrical safety I don't think you can past the shower with the heater element just above the shower head and the open switch within reach so it can be turned on and off from under the shower. Seemed to be fairly standard in cheap hotels in Andean/Central American countries.

This picture looks to be a more modern version!
Alan W
Administrator
Eulexic

Melbourne, Australia

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »

As yelnats says, the vast majority of power points in Australia are three-pin. They look like this:

Anywhere you stay will have wall outlets like that. Some appliances sold in Australia have two-pin plugs, without the vertical pin (the earth), but of course they can plug in to the three-pin wall outlets.

Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites
pat
Eulexic

Rugby, England.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »

Thanks, all. I must admit I was a bit surprised to read that not all Australian sockets took an earth pin. The photo you showed, Alan, confirms what I expected to find.
mkenuk
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:16 PM »

For electrical safety I don't think you can past the shower with the heater element just above the shower head and the open switch within reach so it can be turned on and off from under the shower. Seemed to be fairly standard in cheap hotels in Andean/Central American countries.

This picture looks to be a more modern version!

That is a scary picture; brings a whole new meaning to the term 'short-time hotel'.
 A short time being how long you could expect to live if you tried taking a shower there!
a non-amos
Cryptoverbalist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 06:16:07 AM »

Another minor note of caution . . .

Don't settle for Argentina style plugs.  Argentinian style plugs are mechanically similar enough to make electrical contact when plugged into an Australian outlet, but the wiring is reversed in Argentina.  The hot wire and the neutral wire are reversed.

This type of problem can really ruin your day.  Ouch!

Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)
chaoticshodan
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »

In Abu Dhabi airport duty-free electrical store you can buy, for 49 Dirham, an adapter that has four pop-out sets of pins that fit just about any socket world-wide (not a transformer, so your item must work on the local voltage) - one face has a multi-socket that takes just about any plug, and it also has two USB ports for phone/tablet/eBook charging cables . Google eKlasse adapters (tried to insert a picture but couldn't!) I bought similar items (Fuji brand) years ago from the likes of Currys electrical retailers in Ireland.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: